Translate

Monday, February 12, 2007

Masters Monday - 5

Swatch 13 - Single Cross Cable, on the left.
Swatch 15 - Windblown Cable (knitter's choice), on the right.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Edited April 30, 2007 to add: Evaluators mentioned that the cast on in Swatch 13 may have been a little tight saying "note how the lower edge has rounded corners". And for Swatch 15 that there were "some tension irregularities in the reverse stockinette portion bordering the cable".

The rest of these, and many more attempts that were frogged, are not being handed in. They were just some of the background work that is involved with coming up with a finished swatch. I found Swatch 15 - "Your Choice of Cable" to be particularly labor intense as your choice has to fit within some rather strict guidelines. Finding a cable pattern that had a workable number of stitches, not too many rows, and could somehow be "balanced" on the swatch required a lot of research and experimentation.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

At the top of this second picture (unblocked) is a tiny experiment with "Banded Cable" that I decided I didn't like. On the lower left is "Loose Five-Rib Band", which perhaps could have worked but I was having difficulty finding a point where it looked balanced top and bottom. In retrospect, it might have been okay. The swatch on the bottom right is of course, the "Windblown Cable" without the stockinette down the sides. I had it all completely done and blocked when I realized that when the instructions said "Place P2 on either side of the cable" that they might have wanted ONLY two purl stitches on either side, not ALL purl as I had done.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think all your swatches look great. I still haven't found time to work on mine, just too much going on. Good thing there is no time limit!

Dorothy said...

You're making good progress and your swatches are great! No progress on mine - I've had to concentrate on school assignments. Maybe I should just make myself spend one hour a week on it and I would see some progress!
dswaite@mac.com

Sus said...

Your swatches are looking really good. I have fallen immediately head over heels in love with the windswept cable! Beautiful!

Nicole said...

Maureen, I love, LOVE the windblown cable. Did you find the pattern for this somewhere or did you come up with it yourself?

Marlene said...

Nicole, the Windblown Cable is from page 96 of "Charted Knitting Designs, A Third Treasury of Knitting Patterns" by Barbara G. Walker.

There are both right and left seeping versions of that cable.

Vicki Knitorious said...

Inspiring. I am so happy that you're documenting the road to the Master's, Marlene. I still have not thrown my hat into the ring, and I just don't see it happening in the near future, but I think about it so often. Your swatches all look fantastic!