Translate

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Halfway

I set out in January to run, on an elliptical trainer, the distance from Chilliwack, BC to my old home town of Prince George, BC by April 1st. Today, with 164.7 miles behind me, I passed the half way point.




I thought when I set the goal that it was going to be quite easy. If I did a minimum of 20 miles per week I'd easily reach the goal with a little time to spare. I normally run about 6 miles per workout and workout five days a week, so the 20 miles per week sounded like it would hardly be a challenge. I didn't bank on the flu robbing a few days followed a few weeks later by a knee strain. Now, when I do the math, I realize that I must be extra diligent and it could come down to a "photo finish" with me staggering across the finish line at the last possible second.

But I'll do it.

Last year I found the inner determination to do what it takes to lose 40 pounds. I can do this. I am counting on me. I will not let me down.

Edited on Friday, February 23: I've now passed 100 Mile House. TGIF, it's been a long week. I found this last workout especially tough. I'm glad to have the weekend off!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think having a goal makes a big difference, and having it out in public helps too. You must make some major speed on the elliptical. I'm doing the 100 mile challenge on Runagogo and I include some time on the elliptical too, but I've got no speed. I think I should manage about 180 by the deadline combined with daily dog walks.
Gillian

Marlene said...

I do have a few regulars at the gym who shake their head in amazement Gillian. I certainly don't dog it. The read out says I'm usually going between 8.5 to 10 miles per hour --- usually about 9. I keep up that pace for 41 minutes then do a "cool down" doing a backwards step for another 5 minutes. During that time my heart rate is around 150 - 160 bpm and I burn roughly 400 - 500 calories.

And then most days I do weights.

If only my grade 8 gym teacher could see me now. No longer the asthmatic, unfit teenager I once was.

Maggie Ann said...

Wow! My treadmill 'walk' yields me a 60 calorie burn for 40 minutes. Wait a minute, should I even be telling you this??? =). Actually, though...I feel so good when I do treadmill its worth it. I can't run though....its brisk walking for me...and an 'I Love Lucy' helps alot. My treadmill is placed where I can watch tv...love that part of the exercise!

Marlene said...

I can't run on a treadmill or outside either Maggie Ann. An elliptical trainer is a non-impact way to run. It takes the bone jarring, joint crushing aspect out of running. I have knee and ankle problems that prevent me from doing many things, including exercise bikes, but the elliptical trainer seems okay.