Translate

Friday, March 13, 2015

Mixed Feelings On This One

I had a collection of scraps left over from sewing my blue Saori jacket. They weren't overly large but there were a number of them. I discovered I could cut all 8 wedges for a hat out of them.

Making use of scraps of handwoven fabric.

I've been needing a hat with a brim for those early morning and late evening walks when the sun is low on the horizon and seems intent on shining right in my eyes! Sunglasses are no good because there are enough long shadows at that time of day that my polarized glasses just seem to blind me.

Back

So I worked at sewing all those scraps together.

Right side

And I added a generous brim to cut the sun's glare.

Front

I fought with the lining a bit because it wanted it roll to the outside, but in the end I have a hat that should have been serviceable but I'm kind of on the fence about how I feel about it.

Left side

I've always felt more than a little self conscious wearing hats and this one is -- well -- "out there" with its bold, bright colour and the wild texture. I did wear it for one walk and while it worked well for the intended purpose I felt silly, a bit like Crazy Aunt Pearl. On a positive note I did have a lady that was parked at the side of the road roll down her window just to tell me how much she loved my hat.

I suppose I just need to walk with the confidence and panache of someone who is wearing a pricey designer original, hey? You know, instead of slinking along like I'm embarrassed?


6 comments:

foerdepuppen said...

That is the right conclusion. Hey, you made a hat, that serves its purpose and that looks awesome! Wear it with pride, you've got all right to do so.

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Wow! Those are awesome colors! I am amazed how you shaped all those snaps into a hat! :)

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Err...scraps not snaps

Gene Black said...

If you aren't going to wear it, send it to me. I don't mind being "crazy Aunt Pearl" ha ha.

But I think you should wear it like the designer original that it is and assume that everyone staring is thinking "where can I get one of those???"

Ellen said...

That is a great hat! I'm a Chilliwack knitter and quilter, and will be on the lookout for the hat whenever we're out walking.

Marlene said...

Thanks everyone, for all the positive comments. Perhaps it will be enough to encourage me to wear the hat again. I think if I was more of a hat wearer in the first place it would really help. I feel silly in store bought hats too.