Translate

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Ravelry

I'm in at Ravelry. Yay!

My user name there, as it is here and elsewhere on the internet, Wovenflame. If you're regular visitor here and a Ravelry user I'd love to add you as a "friend".

Unfortunately I've run into a snag that is making it a lot more work and a little less fun than I had hoped. I've been knitting for about 30 years. I've been blogging about that knitting since June of 2004. All the photos I have added to my blog in the past 3 years have been hosted free by Photobucket. Ravelry only supports Flickr at the moment. *sigh*

What that means is that although I have done a ton of knitting in my lifetime and have documented the last 3 years worth with hundreds of photos on my blog, if I want to show pictures of it on my Ravelry page I have to find the photos in my files,(some of which no longer exist due to computer crashes), or when lucky on disks, and upload them to a new photo host and THEN link to them in Ravelry. Even though they are all sitting there already available online I have to do it all over again. I don't think I will.

I've put a few up, my more recent ones, and I'll try to get any new ones added to Ravelry, but jeez I wish I could just link to them all from my Photobucket account.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've run into that problem (on a much more limited scale... I have a few photos on my blog that I couldn't find on my computer).

I just made up a special folder on my computer and downloaded the photos from my blog and then uploaded them to flickr.

One thing you might want to know... flickr has a limit of 200 photos in the free account. That means that they will only show the most recent 200 photos uploaded as existing, BUT Ravelry doesn't have any problem displaying those photos, even though you can't "see" them on flickr. My point is just that I've found you need to add the photos to the projects on Ravelry when you upload them to flickr, so that you don't have to worry about not being able to get to them later if you add a lot.

If that doesn't make sense, go ahead and email me, and I'll try to explain it better.

Nicole said...

I've had this problem to but since I've only been knitting for a few years, much less of a problem!

Marlene said...

Oh yes Leisel, that does make sense. I'll try it your way. The 200 photo limit was worrying me, but if they still show up on Ravelry it'll be okay. I only need them for Ravelry and a few Flickr groups anyway.

Romi said...

Bummer! :P

Nice to see you on Ravelry though. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm on Ravelry too, and have just started with my work there. I should have added more photos, but there are so many other things to find out too. I added you as my friend...*smile*

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Sorry about the Photobucket thing...I've been using Flickr for three years now and when I went to upload pictures at Ravelry I could see them all.

I still have a lot of work to do on my site and so little time...great to see you on Ravelry...I friended you back! :)

Dorothy said...

I'm just adding things slowly - current projects first and archived ones as I get to them. I'll head on over and add you as a friend!

Maggie Ann said...

Are you keeping your blog here? I hope so...I love to have access to your archives, they are so helpful. I just posted my pics for you of my first 'knit' with my spun yarn. When you have a chance come over and tell me what you think, ok? Thanks! I'll have to see what Ravely is...and if I can access it just as a friend without joining?