Translate

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Clue 4 Complete

I have 60% of the shawl done ---

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

--- and a quick calculation tells me I have approximately 38.5% of my yarn left.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Normally when I'm afraid I'll run out of yarn I knit quickly and non-stop in hopes that I'll finish the project before I run out of yarn. I know, it makes no sense, but I'm not the only knitter that admits to this. Unfortunately the clues for the Mystery Stole 3 are being doled out piecemeal, one week at a time. I have no choice but to stop and wait for the next set of directions which won't be out until August 3rd.

On a good note, I can probably spin more if I have to. It's from commercially made top from Aurelia and the colourway is still available. On the other hand, I'd rather not as it comes in rather large bags and buying another will double my cost to make this stole.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Monica was admiring my blocking wires earlier, so I thought I'd mention them here. Not wanting to send away for expensive blocking wires I took the advice of a knitter on a Yahoo-groups forum I belonged to and bought myself a handful of 3/16" x 36" tig welding rods. You just need to check the ends and use sandpaper or a grinder to smooth out anything that might snag. Blocking wires work really well for blocking items with straight edges or even for blocking shawls that have pointed edging (in that case you run the wire through each point). It reduces the number of pins you need and makes for perfectly straight lines.

My thoughtful husband made the holder for me out of PVC pipe and threaded end caps. He even painted them for me so that the ugly black lettering is no longer visible.

The other innovation visible here is the "blocking board" made of interlocking foam play mats. I have a case of 4 and would like another set so that I can block my largest shawls, but set up in a straight line these will work fine for blocking the finished stole.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so beautiful, wish I have knitted so much on mine.....

Jenny Raye said...

Exquisite, really!

Maggie Ann said...

Absolutely beautiful! Its nice how you share things...like the play mats that I can see are great for blocking. What a nice site the Aurelia is. I just clicked over. Love their things. Bet your blocking wires and neat pvc holder are the envy of many....smile.

Michelle said...

Your stole is so lovely! I have no clue as to how the stole is going to be knit at the end, but I think you probably have enough yarn. I hope I don't eat my words! [g]

If you don't mind, I'm stealing your idea to make a case for my blocking wires using PVC. Brilliant! Mine are stored in the cardboard tube they came in and I can't stand it.

dragon knitter said...

gorgeous! i had to start over on mine (the needles were just TOO big for the yarn), but i'm back up to row 43! farthest i've been, lol! (chart A, lol)

Kat said...

Wow, I just LOVE it in that dark color. Beautiful!!

Auntly H said...

That's beautiful! And you spun the yarn? Wow.

I use a 4'x4' piece of rigid insulation for my blocking board. It's not always long enough, but it is always clumsy to store. I like the interlocking mat solution. I'll put those on my wish list.

PlazaJen said...

Wow, this looks great. I appreciate the advice & the link from Ravelry!

Anonymous said...

If you had to, you could probably rip back a little of that middle section and shorten it so you can finish the shawl. But I hope you have enough yarn, it's very pretty!

Marlene said...

Yes that's always been one of my options Mary, but according to Melanie, the designer, an 11" portion would need to be taken out. I'm 5' 6", not overly tall, but not short either. I don't think I could afford to lose an entire 11". If it was only 4" or so I wouldn't hesitate.

Michelle, I'm thinking along the same lines as you. There will be enough. Just barely. I'm hoping the power of postive thinking will get me through. If not, I can always buy more.

Keep pluggin away Minnie. It all adds up. You will find that once you get to the straight section it will go a bit faster. The middle section is very repetative and easy.

Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Your shawl is absolutely georgous! :) The color is stunning. wow... :)

cailyn said...

love your thought about knitting faster to make the yarn last. i do that too! i think the yarn stretches from the friction :lol: