Translate

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Crushless Tarts

You know how sometimes when you are making tarts they boil over a bit and stick in the pans? If your pastry is flaky you will likely crush the tarts trying to get them unstuck. I've come up with a unique way of baking tarts so that this doesn't happen.

I use individual foil tart tins. (Stay with me here. There is a reason and I'm getting to it.)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Once the foil tins are filled I place them into muffin pans. This is just for holding during baking. I've tried cookie sheets but it doesn't work as well - they slide around too much.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

As usual some of the tarts boil over a bit when baking.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Now here is where the benefit of my method comes in: Normally tarts made in a tart or muffin pan cannot be turned over immediately because the hot filling will ooze out. But, if you let them cool the boiled over spots act like crazy glue sticking the tarts to the tins. If you try to dig them out with a knife, they break.

The beauty of individual foil tart tins is that they can be turned upside down, carefully, ONE AT A TIME while still hot. Even if they boiled over, the flipping can be done while the filling is still on the hot side and they slide out beautifully.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

TA DA!

Go! Run to a "dollar store" and pick up a few packages of individual tart tins. It will save you time, frustration and waste when doing your Christmas baking.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Your tarts came out beautifully! They're so pretty! I have to go consider some holiday baking now. Good job!

Lauri said...

They look delicious! Thanks for the good hints - I'll have to remember!

dragon knitter said...

ok, now i'm hungry!

kristo said...

mmmmm!!!
save one for me!!! :-D

Ashley said...

Those look amazing...

What a great idea too!

Maggie Ann said...

What a great idea! They look delicious too. I wondored where you got those tart 'tins'. =) Thanks for telling.

Barb said...

Thanks for such a great idea! Please tell more ideas when possible, anything to make life easier deserves an A+ in my books!