Translate

Monday, August 15, 2005

Spammer "Comments"

Over the past couple of days my blog has become the victim of SPAM type trash disguised thinly as "comments". I have a feeling this is new and exciting territory for cyber-geeks and we will be seeing a lot more of it. As quickly as I find this type of garbage on my blog, I will be deleting it. In the meantime, please don't click on their "name" or go to their site(s). They sure don't need any additional encouragement.

My daughter has also experienced this kind of misuse of the comment feature on her blog and, like myself, was at first at a loss as to how to get rid of the comment. I've gone to Blogger Help and looked it up, which of course you can do too if you are experiencing the same problems, but I thought I would post my findings here and perhaps save you the trouble.

You have to be signed into your Blogger account (like when you want to make a post) and then go from that window to "View Blog". When at your blog, find the offending comment. If there is no garbage can icon at the end of it, hit your browser's "Refresh" button a couple of times and the icon should reappear. Click that and you will be taken to a window where you can delete comment. Be sure to check the "remove forever" box so that the whole comment is deleted, not just the content of the message. Otherwise it leaves the link to their webpage still active.

Stupid Blog spammers. I've had two of them. I originally left the first as it was quite mild, but this second one was so long that it was worth looking up how to get rid of them. What are they thinking anyway?! Do they think people will want to do business with an online site that obviously uses Spam to get customer referrals? BAH! I have a feeling this is going to become more and more of a problem.

5 comments:

dragon knitter said...

i had the same problem, and i ended up deleting 3 of them myself. i'm seriously thinking about eliminating anonymous comments, just not sure, cuz i do ahve a few people who post anonymously, but put who they are (just don't want their info out there, i guess). sigh. dang cyber-twits.

Michelle said...

Count me as another that was hit with spam. At first I was stunned. I've been blogging for just over a year and never had any spam. I knew it had to be too good to be true. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

I know that Wordpress has some add-ons that help keep spam from appearing - it is called three strikes.

Not sure if there are any add-ons for your blogging software, you might want to check it out.

Marlene said...

Thanks Susan. I've looked Three Strikes up, and will consider adding it if the spam continues to be a problem.

Like Dragon Knitter, I don't want to inadvertantly filter out any legitimate commenters.

Maggie Ann said...

Marlene, a big thanks for posting what to do to get rid of the spam. I also received one a 'mile' long. And...no garbage can. I followed your directions and hurray, the refresh button did the trick and the garbage can showed up. I'd been putting off trying to find the solution. You just made my life easier! Thanks again for sharing that.