Translate

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Camera Question

Amanda asked about my camera, and although I have answered her privately, I thought perhaps the information might be of interest to some other readers as well.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Note:Camera's "self portrait" is larger than life.

My camera is a Canon PowerShot S330 (digital elph). I love it. It's about 3 years old now, and as with all technology, you can get better cameras for less money now. Mine is 2.0 mega pixels. The newer ones have BETTER close-up capabilities than mine does. I won't be changing cameras though as this camera suits my needs just fine. I'd like to have a tri-pod so my close-ups would be easier. It's hard to hold my hands steady enough to get a good close-up shot, especially if I am avoiding using the flash.

If you are looking to buy a digital camera I can't emphasize enough the importance of getting one that does NOT require you to buy batteries all the time. Don't be seduced by the lower price of the battery operated ones. These digital cameras eat batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the cost of regular batteries would greatly add to the expense of using your camera over time. It is better to bite the bullet at the time of purchase and get a little more expensive camera that uses the rechargable battery "packs". Mine uses a Canon "Li-ion Battery Pack". I have two of them and a charger and don't regret one bit making that decision. Often when we are at a special event we take a lot of pictures (you CAN when you have a digital camera....then you go home and weed out the ones you don't want before printing) and it is nice to have an extra, charged battery on hand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great info about your camera. I did not know that such a thing existed as those scan cards battery thingies. I wish I would have asked around before purchasing my 2nd digital. I am really not liking it. I may sell it and buy something more suitable.

Maggie Ann said...

Great advice about digital cameras and rechargable batteries. We do the same thing you do and keep an extra set of batteries charged up and ready to go. We have a Sony cyber-shot 5 pixels and I love it. When I think of the money we used to waste getting film and double sets of prints, it makes me cringe. Our camera needs to be about 2 feet away for close-ups and the next one I would want a better feature in that area. As it is if I want something closer, to enlarge it and crop works fine. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth = )